Ciena Corporation, the network specialist, today announced that the Japan-U.S. Cable Network is upgrading its trans-Pacific submarine network, which spans close to 23,000 kilometers from the U.S. to Japan, with Ciena’s market-leading coherent 100 Gigabits per second (100G) technology. Expected to be in service in early 2013, the upgraded network will bring five terabits per second of additional capacity to a crucial global network route connecting North America and northern Asia. As the first direct coast-to-coast 100G trans-Pacific submarine network, this will allow Japan-U.S. Cable customers to enjoy the benefits of increased bandwidth and support rapidly increasing capacity demands.
– The Japan-U.S. Cable is made up of more than 35 consortium members, including leading global service providers such as: Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, KDDI, NTT, Cable & Wireless Worldwide, and Softbank Telecom.
– Ready for service in 2001, the Japan-U.S. Cable Network spans close to 23,000 kilometers and includes two landing stations in California, one in Hawaii, and three in Japan. To provide the 100G service, Ciena’s 6500 Packet Optical platform with WaveLogic(TM) 3 coherent optical processors will replace existing 10G optical equipment at each landing station.
– WaveLogic 3 optimizes the Japan-U.S. submarine cable network to achieve capacity and reduced latency over trans-Pacific submarine distances while improving the overall economics of the network.
– “Previously equipment and service companies who installed and maintained these cables were the sole source for submarine landing terminal equipment hardware. But now vendors such as Ciena, who have made large investments in advanced coherent technology for a wide range of carrier applications, are disrupting the economics of the submarine networking industry. With their Packet-Optical technology, they can retrofit existing plants, increasing capacity and extending the life of submarine carriers’ large capital investments. In return, submarine carriers get access to advanced technology and can elicit true competitive bids for networking hardware.” — Andrew Schmitt, Directing Analyst for Optical, Infonetics Research
– “As bandwidth consumption accelerates worldwide, submarine networks have emerged as a potential bottleneck in global networks due to the cost, challenge, and financial risks of deploying new submarine cables. Ciena’s WaveLogic 3 coherent technology has completely changed the economics of bandwidth and time-to-market for submarine network operators, enabling dramatic increases in capacity over existing cable systems.” — Anthony McLachlan, Vice President and General Manager, Asia Pacific, Ciena
Technology Leadership and Product Background:
– Ciena’s WaveLogic coherent technology enables unobtrusive 40G/100G upgrades to existing submarine networks with only the addition of new terminal equipment, significantly extending the life of existing cable plants and further lengthening its lifespan. Beyond scaling bandwidth and lowering costs, WaveLogic-powered networks can be programmed to quickly respond and adapt to changing requirements for capacity, reach, and latency.
– Ciena is the pioneer and market leader of coherent optical technology with more than 14,000 coherent 40G/100G line interfaces shipped to more than 100 customer deployments over land and undersea across the globe, including deployments in eight countries across the Asia Pacific region.
Supporting Ciena Resources:
– Submarine Application Note: Submarine Solutions for an Increasingly Competitive Market
– Coherent Application Note: Coherent Optical Processing for High-Capacity Networks
– Data Sheet: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
– Video: What is Coherent Optical Networking?
– Video: Ciena Intelligent Infrastructure Solutions
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. With focused innovation, Ciena brings together the reliability and capacity of optical networking with the flexibility and economics of Ethernet, unified by services and software that delivers the industry’s leading network automation. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visit www.ciena.com .